Call out opportunity for independent dance artists/practitioners (rehearsal space)
CLOSURE UPDATE: 3 Nov 2020
Following the latest government announcement regarding an additional national lockdown in England, Dance Hub Birmingham CIC regrets that all studio activity in the Dance Hub space will be suspended from the end of the working day on Wednesday 4 November until Wednesday 2 December.
The health and wellbeing of the artistic community along with our staff members is of the utmost importance to us and we want to do everything we can to keep everyone as safe as possible.
All bookings in this period will sadly therefore be cancelled, and we will be contacting everyone who is affected as soon as possible. We look forward to re-opening the space again as soon as we can, and we plan to extend the in-kind offer of studio use for independent artists into January, so please get in touch if you would like to make a booking.
We thank you for your understanding and support at this unprecedented time.
We are inviting booking requests from independent dance practitioners seeking in-kind rehearsal space to get themselves back into their practice, with provisional bookings extended to the week commencing 4 January. This can include creative work, physical training or simply bringing practitioners together to share and experiment.
The DHB studio is a major asset for dance, designed to enhance the rich dance infrastructure of the city and region and grow the capacity for artists of all backgrounds to develop, create, learn, and sustain their practice in Birmingham.
Ahead of the anticipated opening of the DanceXchange studios later in the Autumn, we are delighted to be able to offer the DHB studio in kind, to support the recovery of the independent dance sector.
- Back together – activity that brings dance practitioners together to talk, contemplate, improvise, experiment, share experience and simply be together in one space (at a safe distance)
- Back to research and development – space for artists wanting to go back to the studio to research and develop new or existing work. This can include rehearsals for performance opportunities contracted for the Autumn 2020/Winter 2021
- Back to training – activity relating to physical training
- take place within the period with provisional bookings extended to the week commencing 4 January
- take place for 1-3 days per application (this does not need to be consecutive days)
- takes place between 10.30am – 4pm. Please note that DHB will only allow one activity per day so applications making full/best use of the available time will be prioritised.
- be by/for independent dance practitioners based (and currently living in) in the West Midlands
- be for individual artists or small groups up to total 6 people (invited). The activity lead needs to provide list of names of additional participants before the first day of the activity
- be self-funded
- work within the studio specifications: https://www.dancehubbirmingham.org.uk/studio-hire/
- comply with our Covid-19 safety measures
Please note, due to current restrictions, we are unable to support activity that would require:
- members of public to be physically present (e.g. workshops, classes)
- varying groups in the space across one day (e.g. auditions)
- people to arrive and leave at different times of the day – you must enter and leave as a group
- use of props brought on site
- use of changing rooms
For more detail on the Covid19 protocols in place in the studio please see our DHB RISK ASSESSMENT
Activity must take place before the end of the week commencing 4 January.
For full details and safety measures, and how to apply please read DANCE HUB STUDIO / CALL OUT – AUTUMN 2020
Once you read the above please submit a DHB STUDIO REQUEST FORM