CLOSURE UPDATE: 6 Jan 2021
In light of the current Government guidance and the significantly heightened risk in relation to COVID-19, the Dance Hub Birmingham studio will unfortunately remain closed during this period of national lockdown and we will continue to review this moving forward.
This decision was not an easy one as we understand the enormous impact this will have on artists’ ability to work, however, we have a clear responsibility to do everything we can to continue to keep artists and staff members as safe as possible and, after full consideration, we feel that in our particular context, this is the safest course of action to take.
Regrettably, we will therefore have to cancel any bookings in this period, and we will be contacting everyone who is affected as soon as possible. We will wait until the situation is a little more certain before taking any new bookings.
We hope you can appreciate that we have not taken this decision lightly, and we very much look forward to being able to re-open as soon as it is safe to do so.
We thank you for your support and understanding at this unprecedented time.
Call out opportunity for independent dance artists/practitioners (rehearsal space)
We are inviting booking requests from independent dance practitioners seeking in-kind rehearsal space to get themselves back into their practice, with provisional bookings extended into January. This can include creative work, physical training or simply bringing practitioners together to share and experiment.
The DHB studio is a major asset for dance, designed to enhance the rich dance infrastructure of the city and region and grow the capacity for artists of all backgrounds to develop, create, learn, and sustain their practice in Birmingham.
Ahead of the anticipated opening of the DanceXchange studios later in the Autumn, we are delighted to be able to offer the DHB studio in kind, to support the recovery of the independent dance sector.
- Back together – activity that brings dance practitioners together to talk, contemplate, improvise, experiment, share experience and simply be together in one space (at a safe distance)
- Back to research and development – space for artists wanting to go back to the studio to research and develop new or existing work. This can include rehearsals for performance opportunities contracted for the Autumn 2020/Winter 2021
- Back to training – activity relating to physical training
- take place within the period with provisional bookings extended into early January
- take place for 1-3 days per application (this does not need to be consecutive days)
- takes place between 10.30am – 4pm. Please note that DHB will only allow one activity per day so applications making full/best use of the available time will be prioritised.
- be by/for independent dance practitioners based (and currently living in) in the West Midlands
- be for individual artists or small groups up to total 6 people (invited). The activity lead needs to provide list of names of additional participants before the first day of the activity
- be self-funded
- work within the studio specifications: https://www.dancehubbirmingham.org.uk/studio-hire/
- comply with our Covid-19 safety measures
Please note, due to current restrictions, we are unable to support activity that would require:
- members of public to be physically present (e.g. workshops, classes)
- varying groups in the space across one day (e.g. auditions)
- people to arrive and leave at different times of the day – you must enter and leave as a group
- use of props brought on site
- use of changing rooms
For more detail on the Covid19 protocols in place in the studio please see our DHB RISK ASSESSMENT
For full details and safety measures, and how to apply please read DANCE HUB STUDIO / CALL OUT – AUTUMN 2020
Once you read the above please submit a DHB STUDIO REQUEST FORM